Depending on the COVID conditions in our communities, more people will return to work at one of the Lab sites in the coming weeks. In this conversation with Melanie Alexandre, EHS ergonomics subject matter expert, we looked at what changes to expect when discussing ergonomics.
Q: What are the three biggest changes in ergonomics since March 2020?
- For many, our modes of work are different. We might be on-site, hybrid, remote, or teleworking and we need to have the resources to support all modes of work. No matter your mode of work, take a fresh look at how you work to make sure your safety and comfort are priorities.
- In-person ergonomic evaluations have returned; virtual evaluations are also still available.
- The Ergonomic Display Room has re-opened.
Q: What resources are available to support the different work modes?
Check out Way We Work Ergonomics Resources. It provides options depending on the way you are working.
We have special resources for a successful shared workstation experience. Just like a rental car, where you adjust the seat and the mirrors to fit you, you should do the same with a shared space. Take the time to set up the chair, desk, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. We don’t want you to work directly on your laptop since that is a known ergonomic issue.
Q: What more do you want employees to know about ergonomics?
There are several things you can do as you re-evaluate your workspace:
- Update your ergo self-assessment profile to reflect the location where you spend the most time
- If needed, schedule an appointment for an ergo consultation. The consultation can now be done in-person or virtually depending on the comfort level of both parties.
- You can order any needed ergonomic equipment for on-site via eBuy and for telework via the special eBuy Telework Catalog.
Most importantly, take the time to do things safely. This also means taking the time to recharge yourself. We charge up our devices all the time, and we need to take time to recharge ourselves by taking mental and physical breaks during the day. Check out the new recharge webpage.
How to adjust a sit/stand table
How to get started in a hoteling space
To share more ergonomic information you can use these handy QR codes.
– How to Get Started: Shared Hoteling Station.
– How to adjust your chair?
– How to adjust a sit-stand table?
– Chair Adjustment Videos and QR Codes.