The Waste Management Group provides prompt assistance to all Lab staff to address specific concerns on the identification, labeling, recycling, and storage of waste, as well as:
- Assistance with waste reduction through prevention, minimization, and recycling
- Classroom or one-on-one waste generator training
- Assistance in waste segregation, packaging, characterization and compliant management of waste in the workplace
- Assurance that waste generators have properly characterized their waste and have correctly packaged and labeled it (by conducting a waste requisition review) before it is picked up
Who Can Help
Waste Requisition Review
After the waste generator submits a hazardous waste requisition using the web-based Hazardous Waste Requisition, the assigned Generator Assistant will review the requisition to ensure that the waste has been properly characterized for storage, recycling, treatment, and ultimate disposal. He or she may determine that additional information is required from the generator because:
- The waste was not adequately described.
- We need additional information about how the waste was generated.
- Documents were not completely filled-out, signed or are missing.
If there is neither a waste pickup or communication from Waste Management by the scheduled pickup day (hazardous waste) or within two weeks (radioactive or mixed waste), contact your Waste Services Generator Assistant or Kelley Etherington (x5867)