The EHS Division (Radiation Protection Group, Division Professionals, Laser Safety Officers, and others) provides training, guidance and coordination of the use of lasers and laser systems. Laser eye exams are also administered through Health Services.
Contact the Laser Safety Officer (LSO) or the LSO Deputy for more information.
Also refer to PUB-3000, Chapter 16 Laser Safety.
What You Need to Do to Operate a Class 3B or 4 Laser at LBNL
- Update your Work Planning and Control Activities at least annually.
- Note: this does not apply to visitors and guests (e.g. external ALS users) who do not need a Work Planning and Control Activity.
- Required Training:
- EHS 302 Laser Safety Training, and taken every three years for Laser Safety Retraining; available online
- On the Job Training — provided by PI/supervisor or designee & must be documented
- For Communication Fiber Optic Users EHS 300 is required, contact LSO to schedule class
- A laser eye exam is required for using a laser at LBNL. Users have 60 days in which to complete the exam.
- Work Planning and Control (WPC) Activity – This is a formal authorization and a safety document that describes the hazards of, and controls for the lasers in your work area. Your Work Lead is responsible to ensure its preparation. You must read and understand it and you are required to comply with its provisions. WPC Activities are renewed annually.
- Lasers must be entered into the Laser Inventory.