Integrated Disability & Absence Management (IDAM) Services is committed to assisting employees who may have impairment from a medical condition or disability with accommodation at work if they are having difficulty performing the essential functions of their job. Berkeley Lab complies with both the federal and state statutes that prohibit disability discrimination in the workplace and provides reasonable accommodations as they relate to enabling a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential job functions. A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a job or the work environment.
Reasonable accommodation may include making existing facilities and equipment accessible, providing qualified readers or interpreters, adapting training materials, modifying work schedules, restructuring jobs, and reassignment to a vacant position. A reasonable accommodation does not remove essential job functions of a position. Our goal is to enable employees to work at their fullest capacity.
For more information, please review Berkeley Lab’s Reasonable Accommodation policy or the appropriate collective bargaining agreement. Should medical accommodation be needed during business travel, please review Appendix I of Berkeley Lab’s Travel Policy and Reference Guide.
Services of the program:
- Provide consultative services to employees and supervisors regarding disability issues impacting an employee’s ability to work.
- Facilitate the interactive process for reasonable accommodation requests in compliance with federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act), state law (Fair Employment and Housing Act), Berkeley Lab policies, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Provide a process for returning employees back to work quickly and safely following both work-related and non-work-related illnesses and injuries.
Do you need disability accommodation in your workplace?
You may initiate a request for medical accommodation by sending an email to the IDAM team at email@example.com. The IDAM team will then send you a medical accommodation packet via email for both you and your healthcare provider to complete and return. You can fax the completed packet back to our confidential fax at (510) 486-7070. Never disclose private health information via email.
Next steps after submitting the Employee Questionnaire:
- The IDAM team will request your supervisor to provide a copy of your position description and the PEM form outlining the Physical Environmental Mental demands of the job.
- Your position description, PEM form, and the Certification of Healthcare Provider form will be provided to you in a packet to give to your healthcare provider.
- Your healthcare provider reviews your position description and PEM form, completes the Certification of Healthcare Provider form indicating any temporary or permanent work restrictions and submits the medical certification form to the IDAM team via confidential fax to (510) 486-7070.
- Once your Employee Questionnaire and Certification of Healthcare Provider forms are received by the IDAM team, the staff will evaluate the medical documentation and facilitate the Interactive Process.
During the interactive process, LBNL will:
Employees unable to satisfactorily perform essential, assigned functions of their positions due to a disability or medical condition may be separated from employment. Prior to medical separation, Berkeley Lab will engage in the interactive process. For more information, please review Berkeley Lab’s Medical Separation policy or the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
Employees unable to satisfactorily perform essential, assigned functions of their positions due to a disability or medical condition may be separated from employment. Prior to medical separation, Berkeley Lab will engage in the interactive process.
For more information, please review Berkeley Lab’s Medical Separation policy or the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.