Safety Awards offered by Berkeley Lab include:
The Bucketlist platform offers an easy and fun way to thank and recognize individuals and teams for living and demonstrating the values recognized at the Lab as critical to success. This peer-to-peer employee recognition platform is designed to help grow our culture of appreciation, engage with these values, and help us bring them to life.
- Nomination: Anyone who has not opted out of the system may recognize another employee.
- Award: Points can be collected and redeemed for various unique prizes. Go to Bucketlist then click “Redeem” on the left-hand menu to view available prizes.
- Eligibility: Peer to peer recognition – any Lab employee can recognize an individual or team.
- For additional feedback or questions, contact email@example.com.
Hero Cards are given to employees by their peers for exhibiting everyday safe behavior. Your day-in, day-out commitment to safety, even when completing minor tasks, improves the working environment for all of your colleagues. The Hero Card acknowledges those smaller, but just as meaningful contributions to incorporating safety into everything you do here.
- Nomination: Recipients are asked to register on their card and then pass the card to any employee they see demonstrating safe practices.
- Award: Registration entitles you to a Safety Is Elemental pin, and if you are eligible, enters you into a quarterly drawing for a $50 prize.
- Eligibility: Peer to peer recognition – anyone can request a card and pass it along for good deeds. Lab employees who register their Hero Card are eligible to enter the raffle.
- For Hero Cards supply contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safety Spot Awards
The Safety Spot Award is for safety improvements performed by an individual or team that go above and beyond documented safety training and procedures.
- Nomination: Submit the Safety Spot Award Nomination Form.
- Award: A certificate of recognition or monetary award ranging from $25-500 based on safety issue evaluation.
- Eligibility: Visit Safety Spot Award Guidelines for full program details.
- Certificate: Anyone in any employment category working at the Lab can nominate and be nominated for promoting the the Lab’s safety culture
- Monetary award: Lab employees, including Faculty appointments, whose job description does not explicitly include safety duties are eligible. Non-Lab employees are not eligible, including affiliates, guests, students, and subcontractors. Lab employees whose job description includes safety responsibilities (e.g. EHS Division employees, division safety coordinators, safety managers, and safety technicians) are not eligible.
- Actions that may merit an award:
- Reporting an unsafe condition
- Submitting a valuable safety suggestion
- Identifying a new hazard
- Improving a process
- Consistent outstanding safety leadership
- Significant influence on safety culture
Director’s Award for Exceptional Achievement – Safety
The Director’s Award for Safety is awarded for exceptional accomplishments or leadership in promoting a safety culture at Berkeley Lab. Each year, the Director’s Awards Program recognizes accomplishments, leadership, collaboration, multi-disciplinary science, cross-divisional projects, and commitment to excellence in support of the Lab’s mission and strategic goals.
- Nomination: Any employee of Berkeley Lab may complete the nomination process to recognize an individual or team. Self-nominations are not allowed.
- Award: Up to $5,000 for individual or team awards. Presentation at the annual awards event.
- Eligibility: Non-Lab employees are not eligible, including affiliates, guests, students, and subcontractors. Members of the UC Senior Management Group and Division Directors are not eligible to receive the monetary portion of the award. View all eligibility requirements.